June 26, 2017

Banana Hazelnut Smoothy - another tasty and fast way to use up those overripe bananas


banana hazelnut smoothy, great use for overripe bananas

This is a smoothy my kids and I currently are somewhat addicted to. It is also a great way of using up those overripe bananas.

To make 4 people happy you need:

2 bananas (if you like your smoothy cold use frozen ones)
1 large apple or 1 orange
pulse for 30 seconds
500 grams of plain yoghurt (learn here how to make your own)
250 grams of roasted hazelnut milk (learn here how to make your own)
30 grams of oat flakes (porridge type. For gluten free option, make sure your oat flakes are gluten free)
If your summer holidays have started and you are in urgent need of chocolate to calm some nerves you can easily add dark chocolate chunks to this...just saying...and the amount is entirely up to you and the status of your nerves....but I would start with at least 50 grams. With the combination of happy making bananas and uplifting chocolate you should be surrounded by a jolly bunch and feel a lot better yourself! Did you know that both bananas and chocolate are high in tryptophan which helps your body release serotonin which basically makes you feel happy and jolly? Chocolate also contains theobromine which works like a weak stimulant similar to caffeine, but is also toxic to dogs and cats and the reason you should never feed chocolate to your pets! And furthermore chocolate contains phenylethylalanine which works as a mild anti-depressant and is also released by your body when falling in love and gives you all these fluttery feelings. So this is the reason both make you feel better when you eat (or drink) them.  
I don't use anything to sweeten this banana hazelnut smoothy, because I find the use of ripe bananas makes it sweet enough, but if you feel like you need it sweeter you can add 1 teaspoon of honey or you can use maple sirup or dandelion sirup for a vegan option and in that case of course use vegan yoghurt.

Pulse for 1 minute at highest setting and VoilĂ ...

banana hazelnut smoothy, great use for overripe bananas

 Thanks to the oats and yoghurt you could probably use this as a liquid super fast breakfast on the go.

Serve immediately and enjoy!



25 comments:

  1. Omg this sounds so amazing! I will def try this and it's such an easy to follow recipe as well. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, I love a smoothie for breakfast because I'm lazy and hate cooking. I will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It´s very fast made. perfect for the lazy cook

      Delete
  3. This is such a nice smoothie recipe!
    I love Banana Smoothies and this one sounds so good. I'll definitely try this.
    - Mini

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious! I don't make nearly enough smoothies, and I want to give this one a try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started making smoothies. I am falling in love with them, they are so fast and easy made

      Delete
  5. another simple yummy treat that even the cheetah and I can make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't feed the cheetah with the chocolate ;)

      Delete
    2. we'll sub in zebra......

      Delete
    3. that should just about hit the spot ;)

      Delete
  6. Looks good. I will share this with a few co workers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids will love this. We always seem to have bananas left that I need to use. This would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids go crazy for it. They esp like the combo of hazelnuts and bananas in this one

      Delete
  8. Ha ha! Smoothy! I love the new way of spelling it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thought of this smoothie. I am waiting to move before I unpack my kitchen. But when I do I want to try this recipe because it sounds delicious.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrapped up kitchens are the worst. We moved last year. Not being able to cook and bake like I usually do was the worst part of it for me. Good luck with the move, Jacqueline!

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh this sounds decadent! mmmmm mmm mm

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my honest opinion, hazelnut is the most underrated among all the nuts and I can't seem to get enough of its taste(I'm looking at you ferrero rocher). Thanks for showing us new ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veena. The taste of hazelnut really is one of the best. Just sad they got so expensive after last years bad harvest.

      Delete